Follow These 7 Tips for Driving Safely
Many tens of thousands of people die each year in traffic accidents – and many more are injured. Nearly all of these accidents are avoidable, however. If we all do our part, we can make driving safer and save lives and misery. Follow these driver safety tips and stay safe while you are driving.
- Pay attention. Staying alert is one of the most important things you can do. This means not driving when you are sleepy. It means not texting when you drive. It means telling your passengers to remain calm and quiet and not turning the radio up too loud.
- Obey speed limits. Speeding is a prime cause of accidents. Speed limits are set with great care and are not arbitrary limits. Assume the people who make the speed limits know what they are doing and stay under the speed limit for the road you are on.
- Obey traffic signals. Stop at stop signs, don’t roll through them. Yellow lights do not mean speed up, they mean prepare to stop at the red light. If the sign says yield, you must yield. When everyone is on the same page and obeying traffic signs, we are all safer.
- Use your seat belt. You stand a much better chance of escaping injury or even death if you put your seat belt on. The same is true for your passengers.
- Drive according to the weather. Different weather conditions require different driving speeds and different levels of patience. Don’t drive in a rainstorm at night like you would during a bright, sunny day.
- Use your lights. Turn on your headlights when dusk comes. Signal your intention to turn with your turn signals. If you have to stop on the side of a road, turn on your hazard lights. These signals help other drivers understand what is going on and what you are about to do.
- Get regular vehicle maintenance. Keep your brakes in good shape. Make sure all your lights are working.
With these tips, we can all be safer on the roads.